When Fat is A State of Mind

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Not All Angels Have Wings

On Tuesday we had our first appointment with our new Psychologist.  She comes highly recommended and has huge experience dealing with young children on the Spectrum.

Honestly I think it was love at first sight, I'm talking about me :) although the Little Man was very receptive to her gentle tones and guidance.

She gets him, no wait SHE GETS HIM 


The Little Man has very high anxiety levels which facilitates his own flavour of OCD and fairly recently a healthy dose of separation anxiety directed at me.

We made epic progress today.  I'm under no illusions that it's early days and there's lots of hard work ahead but I'm filled with a sense of quiet optimism and dare I say hope.

One thing that does take me aback and this has happened with our last two appointments, both health care professionals have commented about my grasp of what is facing us and how I "know" little man.  Now this has me confused.  Is it not in my sons' best interest to not only acknowledge what is going on but learn as much as I can so I can best help him.  I'm his Mum, why wouldn't I open a vein if that's what it took and while we're on the subject who should know my baby better than his Mama?  When my babies were in NICU I used to have a chair that sat in between their humidicribs and for 16 hours a day I used to watch, every movement, every gesture, every sound, that was all I had to hold on to.  He is part of me and I am part of him, we speak the same language so yes I do "know" him and I "know" him better every day.

The thing I loved about our new Psych is that he isn't just a Syndrome, someone to be cured or treated, she sees him for who he is and values the essence of him.

I read a quote about Aspergers "Nobody suffers Aspergers, nobody needs to be cured".  It isn't a disease it just is.  Some people have blond hair, some have red hair, some have fair skin, some have olive skin, some are NT, some are Aspie that's just the way it is

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. So glad you think you've found someone to 'get it'. A tough little assignmnet you've been given. Hope it all works out brilliantly and your little man shines :)